As we celebrate Nurses Month, we at USAHS wanted to get a sense of what a typical workday is like for a nurse manager. We asked alum Ahnnya Slaughter, DNP, to tell us all about a day in her life. Dr. Slaughter graduated in 2021 from USAHS’ Doctor of Nursing Practice program, the Nurse Executive role specialty. Coming from a military family, she began working at a VA hospital in the Los Angeles area 30 years ago as a critical care RN. “Veterans deserve the best care,” she says. “My calling wasn’t to be in the military. This is my way of being able to serve the country.” Over the years, she worked her way up, through positions such as informatics specialist, deputy nurse executive, and director of clinical staff development. She began Read more
The deadline for applying for the Outstanding Academic Achievement and Leadership Scholarship, and Community Service Scholarships is March 18, 2019, so apply now!
The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences offers two types of scholarships to new students who are admitted to the University’s Physical Therapy (DPT, DPT Flex) and Occupational Therapy (MOT, MOT Flex, OTD, OTD Flex) programs.
- Community Service Scholarship (application deadline 3/18/19)
- Outstanding Academic Achievement and Leadership Scholarship (application deadline (4/15/19)
Applications for these scholarships are now being accepted. Click here to access the scholarship application form.
Outstanding Academic Achievement and Leadership Scholarship
USAHS awards these scholarships in recognition of outstanding academic achievement and leadership potential. All applicants meeting the scholarship criteria will be considered for the awards.
The top applicant from each of the full-time, campus-based DPT, OTD and MOT programs per campus will be selected to receive a $6,000 scholarship per academic year. An additional recipient selected from each program will be awarded a $2,000 scholarship per academic year.
The top applicant selected to receive this scholarship for the DPT Flex, OTD Flex and MOT Flex programs per campus will be awarded $4,500 per academic year and an additional recipient selected from each program will receive $1,500 per academic year.
Scholarships are awarded to entering students who best meet the following criteria:
- Preferred minimum GRE score (verbal and quantitative sections combined) of 300 (latest GRE version) but alternatively, a minimum of 3.5 GPA on program prerequisites.
- A one-page essay summarizing your leadership experiences; please include your name and student ID at the top of the essay and be sure to title it “My Leadership Experiences”. Your Enrollment Advisor can provide your student ID number.
- A curriculum vitae or resume that showcases the leadership roles you have held
To retain an Outstanding Academic Achievement and Leadership Scholarship, a recipient must:
- Remain a full-time student in good standing in the applicable degree program. Scholarships are not transferable to another University degree program.
- Remain enrolled each trimester in all courses in the established curricular pathway for the applicable program. Withdrawing from a course(s) would remove a student from the established curricular pathway causing him/her to be ineligible for the scholarship for the subsequent trimester.
- Retain a 3.5 GPA with USAHS at the end of each trimester; this will be monitored by the scholarship organizer.
If a recipient does not meet these requirements, he/she will be ineligible for the scholarship award for the subsequent trimester. The scholarship would be reinstated the following term if the student again meets the requirements.