As we celebrate Nurses Month, we at USAHS wanted to get a sense of what a typical workday is like for a nurse manager. We asked alum Ahnnya Slaughter, DNP, to tell us all about a day in her life. Dr. Slaughter graduated in 2021 from USAHS’ Doctor of Nursing Practice program, the Nurse Executive role specialty. Coming from a military family, she began working at a VA hospital in the Los Angeles area 30 years ago as a critical care RN. “Veterans deserve the best care,” she says. “My calling wasn’t to be in the military. This is my way of being able to serve the country.” Over the years, she worked her way up, through positions such as informatics specialist, deputy nurse executive, and director of clinical staff development. She began Read more
The success of our students is at the core of USAHS’s mission. Our staff and faculty offer a range of services to support students both academically and personally. And we plan events for career development, self-care, and fun.
Academic and personal support:
- On-demand tutoring: Our tutoring service offers drop-in hours as well as appointments for one-on-one and group tutoring.
- Mentoring: Ask about mentoring opportunities with faculty.
- Writing service: Our writing service provides free assistance with writing resumes, papers, and capstone projects.
- Counseling: Students get three free counseling sessions per term for support around academic and personal challenges.
- Career days: Students can network and interview with potential employers at our career days. We also maintain up-to-date job boards.
- Lunch-and-Learn events: At these free events, guest speakers present about trending topics in healthcare—such as non-traditional career paths—and students can meet them and ask questions.
- Community service opportunities: Student professional organizations host fundraising and other events, such as an adaptive sports expo, the OT Olympics, OT Advocacy Day, and a beach cleanup.
- Interprofessional learning: Our interprofessional opportunities are a highlight of studying at USAHS. You will collaborate with students from other programs in hands-on clinical simulations to better prepare for real-world practice.
Recent events for self-care and fun have included:
- Destress Fests: We host Destress Fests near finals week—featuring therapy dogs, massage, ice cream, and yoga—to help students modulate their stress.
- Smoothie Day: Faculty members make delicious smoothies for students.
- Service Week: Students, faculty, and their families across the United States volunteer for service opportunities.
- Guest speakers: We invite guest speakers to present on self-care topics such as time management and coping with stress.
- Back-to-school parties: Some campuses host back-to-school parties each term, with DJs and games.