Doctor of Education (Ed.D)
The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences is committed to addressing the nationwide shortage of qualified faculty in health science related education. The Doctor of Education offers an opportunity to further the education of practitioners who desire to teach. Your experience as a practitioner is invaluable to the next generation of health science professionals. Whether you would like to pursue a career in higher education or enrich the one you have, our post-professional online Doctor of Education (EdD) program can help prepare you for success as a professor or an educational leader.
Take Advantage of the Doctor of Education Scholarship!
Students enrolling in the University of St. Augustine’s Doctor of Education program are eligible for a scholarship equal to 25% of your tuition cost. Qualified students who are accepted and enroll in the Doctor of Education program are eligible for this award. Contact your enrollment advisor for further details.
Our online EdD program is focused on helping health sciences professionals including nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, athletic trainers and others learn how to teach their professions at the university level. In this program, you benefit from a university that focuses exclusively on graduate education in the health sciences and has regional, national, and professional accreditations.
Students make take the standard curriculum or may specialize by taking electives in nursing education.
Doctor of Education (Ed.D) Program Overview
- The EdD consists of 60 credits, which may be completed in three (3) to five (5) years.
- Delivered almost completely online, the program includes two on-campus residencies, which will expose you to guest speakers and allow you to engage in discussions, presentations, and Q&A sessions with your faculty and fellow students in a face-to-face setting.
- You will progress through the program with a small, diverse cohort of your peers who share your desire and commitment to enhance their careers in higher education.
- Core coursework will develop your instructional skills in topics like curriculum development, educational theory, and classroom delivery.
- Elective courses are designed to allow you to take a variety of courses in specialty areas, or accept teaching internships or directed study opportunities while you progress through the program or pursue a specialization such as Nursing Education.
- The EdD culminates with a dissertation, which will allow you to address a real-world problem or make an original contribution to a body of knowledge in your field.
Program Mission Statement
The Doctor of Education (EdD) program provides a multidisciplinary environment to build skills in leadership, academic preparation, and enhancement of health sciences education provision through innovative and individualized education.
Available Area of Concentration
Optional Nursing Education
Experienced nurses interested in teaching at the higher education level may choose our optional specialization in Nursing Education. This concentration is for nursing professionals who are ready to share their expertise with the next generation of practitioners.
All students enrolled in the EdD program are eligible to earn the Certificate of Executive Leadership. Any EdD students not pursuing the Nursing Education Concentration are eligible to earn the the Certificate of Teaching and Learning. Coordinate with your advisor to learn more.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Doctor of Education (EdD) program, doctoral learners will demonstrate the ability to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of theories in education and their applications to specific areas of the health sciences.
- Demonstrate scholarly writing skills.
- Demonstrate pedagogically sound teaching and learning skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to function in professorial track teaching or at high levels of organizational administration.
- Utilize advanced research skills directed toward the analysis of knowledge in a given field of health sciences.
- Develop skills in professional leadership and health policy.
- Produce new knowledge in the areas of teaching and learning specific to the health sciences.
Admission is open to professionals who have a master's or doctoral degree and a minimum of three (3) years of professional experience.
View the curriculum
Click Here for Gainful Employment Information