Master of Health Administration (MHA)
At the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (USAHS), the Master of Health Administration (MHA) program can help position you for success in a growing industry.
Our MHA program was designed with industry healthcare leaders to ensure the curriculum is focused on mastering the skills that healthcare employers are looking for when they make hiring and promotion decisions.
As a graduate level student of health administration, you will learn new management strategies and gain practical skills to effectively create change in operations, finance, research, policy, education, and other key areas of healthcare organizations. In addition, you will gain real life experience and expand your professional network as you work with an industry leader who will lead and mentor you throughout your capstone project.
MHA graduates will be prepared to pursue management roles in hospitals, nursing homes, managed care facilities, and more. Employment of medical and health services professionals is projected to grow 20 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all professions.*
- Apply your knowledge and gain real-world experience with an optional internship, which complements the capstone course.
- USAHS offers two pathways for completing the MHA. The traditional plan of study can be completed in either 1 year and 8 months or 2 years, depending on the number of courses you select to take in each trimester. The accelerated learning pathway can be completed in as little as 1 year and 4 months.
- Learn from faculty who are leaders in their fields.
- Earn your degree entirely online, or work along side your classmates and faculty at an on-campus immersion, featuring accelerated course work, face-to-face lectures, discussion groups, interprofessional projects and more.
- The 37-credit hour program includes 31 credit hours of required courses and 6 credit hours of elective courses.
Choose your path to complete your MHA
We’re flexible. We measure learning rather than time, allowing you to progress at your own pace. Our balanced assessments lead us to more effectively measure success and keep you moving along in your MHA program, or give you the time you need to complete your degree.
Accelerated Pathway Program
- Complete the program in as little as 1 year and 4 months
- For students with prior relevant experience
- Competency-based framework (accelerated learning)
- Partner with a faculty mentor
- Complete various assessments and demonstrate mastery of course competencies to progress through the program
Traditional Plan of Study Program
- Complete the program in as little as 1 year and 8 months, or up to two years
- For early career professionals or students who prefer a traditional course schedule. This option is ideal for students who need to balance their time between work, school and family
Travel, study and explore with us!
Travel to Italy with us to examine the impact of health outcomes in an international setting. According to the World Health Organization, Italy ranks as one of the top healthcare systems in the world, making it an ideal setting to study best practices for improving community health. Learn More
As an MHA student, you’ll benefit from:
Interprofessional Education Opportunities
We believe that collaboration is a cornerstone of education. At USAHS, you will have the unique opportunity to learn alongside Health Administration students from different health care professions to hone your skills and benefit from a variety of perspectives. We’re confident that this team-based approach strengthens health systems and produces positive outcomes.
Innovative Real-World Learning
Future employers are looking for Health Administration graduates with critical thinking skills. Throughout the program, you will build upon this ability through several practical learning methods, including:
Simulation Tools: These tools provide students with realistic, immersive experiences where they can analyze case studies and hypothetical challenges faced by healthcare administrators while seeing the impact of their decisions in real time.
Capstone Integrated Field Experience: Students work on a unique and significant healthcare administration project with an approved healthcare manager/administrator who will lead and mentor them.
Case-Based Teaching: Participate in traditional and simulated health administration case studies, including national competitions. You can expect to learn from colleagues and faculty who are leaders in their fields, and broaden your knowledge of healthcare administration.
On-Campus Immersion: Attend one of our optional three-day, on-campus immersions as a part of your program. This immersive interprofessional experience will allow you to complete this course four-to-five weeks prior to the fully online option. Learn alongside your peers through collaborative team projects, and foster interprofessional problem solving, professionalism, leadership growth, and communication strategies. Hear what people are saying about our on-campus immersion program.
You will be responsible for the cost of travel and other expenses associated with optional immersion. Immersions are offered at one of the university’s four campuses.
Industry Connectivity: Create valuable connections with fellow students and meet healthcare leaders who deliver guest lectures and participate in quarterly “Let’s Break to Educate” panel discussions. You will be encouraged to participate in professional organizations and field experiences to enhance your industry connections.
The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences has partnered with the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) to bring professional certification opportunities to our students. The Certified Specialist in Business Intelligence (CSBI) is available for students in the Informatics Specialization, and the Certified Revenue Cycle Representative (CRCR) is available for all students in the MHA program, regardless of specialization chosen.
At USAHS, we are a graduate university that specializes in health sciences. We are committed to the development of professional health care practitioners through interprofessional, innovative, individualized, and quality education. Each of our academic programs focuses on foundational sciences and concepts, sound decision-making, and strong technical skill development. Read more about our mission.
Let us help you take the next step toward your future.
Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2018). Occupational outlook handbook: Medical and health services managers. Retrieved February 12, 2018 from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm