Doctor of Education Program
The Doctor of Education program at The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences is designed for practitioners, educators, and administrators who want to assume or advance their careers in healthcare education, administration, or leadership.
Join us in Italy for an international opportunity to examine the impact of health outcomes through a local healthcare system. According to the World Health Organization, Italy ranks as one of the top health care systems in the world, making it an ideal place to study best practices for improving health for communities. Learn More
Hear what our students have to say
USAHS’s Doctor of Education program complements its mission of developing professional healthcare practitioners, leaders, and educators by preparing its graduates to fill the growing demand for faculty, administrators, and leaders in health science-related education.
Whether you currently are a healthcare practitioner or educator, your experience is invaluable to the next generation of health science professionals. If you would like to pursue a career in higher education or enrich the one you have, our online Doctor of Education (EdD) program can help you achieve your goals and prepare you for success in this dynamic field.
EdD Program Overview
- The EdD consists of 60 credits and can be completed in three to five years.* However, USAHS’s program is flexible so students can complete the program at their preferred pace.
- Delivered almost completely online, the program includes two on-campus immersions, which will expose you to guest speakers and allow you to engage in discussions, presentations, and Q&A sessions with your faculty and fellow students in a face-to-face setting.
- You will progress through the program with a diverse interprofessional cohort of your peers who share your desire and commitment to begin or enhance their careers in higher education.
- Core coursework will develop your instructional skills in topics such as curriculum development, educational theory, and classroom delivery.
- Electives are designed so you can take courses in specialty areas, accept teaching internships or directed study opportunities while you progress through the program, pursue a specialization resulting in a certificate in an area such as Nursing Education, Athletic Training, Teaching and Learning, and Executive Leadership.
- The EdD culminates with a dissertation, which will allow you to address a real-world problem or make an original contribution to a body of knowledge in your field.
Attend one of our optional three-day, on-campus immersions as a part of your program. This immersive interprofessional experience will allow you to complete this course four-to-five weeks prior to the fully online option. Learn alongside your peers through collaborative team projects, and foster interprofessional problem solving, professionalism, leadership growth, and communication strategies. Hear what people are saying about our on-campus immersion program.
You will be responsible for the cost of travel and other expenses associated with optional immersion. Immersions are offered at one of the university’s four campuses.
Prior Learning Assessment
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) allows the student to utilize professional experience(s) for consideration to receive credit toward programmatic requirements by meeting specific course related outcomes as evaluated by Program Directors.
Beginning Fall 2017, applicants to the EdD program may apply for PLA review prior being admitted to the program. Students may also apply for PLA review at any point in their Plan of Study up until 50% of their required coursework has been completed.
Read more about prior learning assessment here.
*Please note that the program typically takes 4 years to complete, based off the most recent 2-year graduate data (2016-2017 and 2017-2018); however, individual experiences will vary based on factors including, but not limited to: individual progression, part‐time vs. full‐time enrollment, credits transferred, changing specializations, unsuccessful course completion, leaves of absence or other personal circumstances.