USAHS Transfer Credit Policy
Transfer of graduate credits previously earned from another accredited degree granting institution is limited to 25% of the total number of academic credits for the degree. Transfer of credits within the University is determined on a case by case basis. Transfer credit will, in most cases, be approved for graduate coursework awarded by schools, colleges, or universities that have recognition from the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), and the U.S. Department of Education.
Acceptance or rejection of transfer credit is subject to the following provisions:
- The course(s) should have been completed within five (5) years preceding admission to the program but the applicant may petition to the Program Director for an exception to this time limit.
- The course should have been completed with a grade of B or better. Courses having a B- or below will not be transferred.
- The course must be listed on an official transcript sent directly to the Registrar by issuing institution.
- The Program Director, in consultation with the appropriate course instructor(s), will review the transfer course syllabus to verify that its contents match those of the program’s course. The Program Director will then notify the Registrar of the decision.
- The course number and name of the course requested for transfer should reflect the content of the course it is replacing. Additionally, if the course requested for transfer will replace an elective, the content should be closely aligned with that of the curriculum and its potential electives.
- In cases where a course from a master’s program is being requested for transfer into a doctoral program, consideration should be given to rigor and content and further documentation may be requested.
The process for requesting transfer credits is as follows:
- The student completes a Request for Acceptance of Transfer Credit Form found on the myUSA portal Students tab and submits the completed form to the Registrar along with an official transcript showing the course (if not on file) as well as the fee of $75.00 per course for the transfer review.
- Requests for approval of transfer credits may be submitted within the first four (4) months after acceptance into the program or at least two (2) months before the start of classes for the trimester.
- The Registrar will notify the student if the request for transfer credit is approved and will post any transferred credit to the permanent academic record at that time.