Doctor of Education (Ed.D)
The Doctor of Education program at The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences is designed for practitioners, educators, and administrators who want to assume or advance their careers in healthcare education, administration, or leadership. Graduates of this program will be prepared for academic, administrative, or leadership positions in a variety of healthcare education and professional training and development settings.
USAHS’s Doctor of Education program complements its mission of developing professional healthcare practitioners, leaders, and educators by preparing its graduates to fill the growing demand for faculty, administrators, and leaders in health science-related education.
Whether you currently are a healthcare practitioner or educator, your experience is invaluable to the next generation of health science professionals. If you would like to pursue a career in higher education or enrich the one you have, our online Doctor of Education (EdD) program can help you achieve your goals and prepare you for success in this dynamic field.
Take Advantage of the Doctor of Education Scholarship!
Students enrolling in the University of St. Augustine’s Doctor of Education program are eligible for a scholarship equal to 25% of your tuition cost. Qualified students who are accepted and enroll in the Doctor of Education program are eligible for this award. Contact your enrollment advisor for further details.
Doctor of Education (Ed.D) Program Overview
- The EdD consists of 60 credits and can be completed in as little as three years. However, USAHS’s program is flexible so students can complete the program at their preferred pace.
- Delivered almost completely online, the program includes two on-campus residencies, which will expose you to guest speakers and allow you to engage in discussions, presentations, and Q&A sessions with your faculty and fellow students in a face-to-face setting.
- You will progress through the program with a diverse interprofessional cohort of your peers who share your desire and commitment to begin or enhance their careers in higher education.
- Core coursework will develop your instructional skillsin topics such as curriculum development, educational theory, and classroom delivery.
- Electives are designed so you can
- take courses in specialty areas,
- accept teaching internships or directed study opportunities while you progress through the program
- pursue a specialization resulting in a certificate in an area such as Nursing Education, Athletic Training, Teaching and Learning, and Executive Leadership.
- The EdD culminates with a dissertation, which will allow you to address a real-world problem or make an original contribution to a body of knowledge in your field.
Program Mission Statement
The Doctor of Education (EdD) program provides a multidisciplinary environment to build skills in leadership, academic preparation, and enhancement of health sciences education provision through innovative and individualized education.
Earn one of the following specializations by choosing the elective courses that are required to complete them. These courses can be taken as part of the electives needed to complete the requirements of the EdD program.
Nursing Education Specialization
Experienced nurses interested in teaching at the higher education level may choose our concentration in Nursing Education. This nursing specialization includes five elective courses focused on practical theory and application in nursing education in higher education. It is designed for experienced nursing professionals who seek to train the next generation of practitioners.
Athletic Training Specialization
Athletic trainers who are currently in higher education, or wish to purse a teaching role will find it helpful to study topics uniquely challenging to educators. The specialization includes timely and relevant topics such as cultural competency, evidenced-based injury treatment and other emerging fields of interest to the educator.
Teaching and Learning Specialization
This specialization offers participants an opportunity to increase their expertise in teaching practices designed for today’s learner. This series of courses will help students develop the necessary skills to teach in a traditional or online classroom, develop curriculum, and understand generational learning.
Executive Leadership Specialization
This specialization includes a series of courses with emphasis on operational leadership in healthcare: developing and managing an effective team, strategic planning and decision-making, balancing the economics of decision-making and timing of decisions, and leadership strategies and the strategic use of quality performance standards to achieve organizational outcomes.
Why USAHS for your EdD?
USAHS has a strong reputation for excellence in education and teaching in the health sciences. Its focus on graduate studies in these fields allows for an intimate, personalized approach that encourages success in students and alumni. Our students and graduates have been recognized for their high level of professionalism and excellence in health care and educational situations.
Our students value the unique personalization and attention they receive from their faculty and mentors throughout their educational journey. As an EdD student, you will have a dedicated faculty advisor who will work closely with you and provide one-on-one support for the completion of your dissertation.
USAHS is an active community of health science educators and professionals from many disciplines. EdD students can benefit from connections to our alumni and our expansive network of professionals for collaboration, support and access to career opportunities.
View the academic learning outcomes and curriculum.
To be considered for admission to the Doctor of Education program, a candidate must have completed a master’s or doctoral degree and have the desire to develop or advance their career in higher education for health science. For further details, visit our Admissions Requirements page.