A Short History of Manual & Manipulative Therapy
A Short History of Manual & Manipulative Therapy and the Founding of The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences: An understanding and appreciation of the history of manual therapy, the International Federation of Orthopaedic Manipulative Physical Therapists IFOMT and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT) is important to avoid mistakes and advocate for the future of our profession. The session includes a discussion of the professional and political environment that led to the formation of the AAOMPT, the impact the Academy has had on the national and international physical therapy profession over the past 25 years, and recommendations on how lessons learned from our history should be used to guide the future direction of the Academy.
- List the founding members of IFOMPT
- Understand the history and individuals involved with practicing manipulation in the US
- Describe the professional and political environment that led to the formation of the AAOMPT.
- Explain strategies used by the AAOMPT leadership that have resulted in successful professional advocacy accomplishments.
- Describe the roles the AAOMPT has played within the national and international physical therapy community over the past 25 years