Post-Professional OTD Overview
The Post-Professional Doctor of Occupational Therapy (PP OTD) at the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences offers practitioners with either a bachelor’s or master’s degree in occupational therapy the opportunity to advance their studies in the areas of clinical practice skills, research skills, administration, leadership, program development, and education.
- Complete the program entirely online when it fits into your busy schedule. Or join us on our St. Augustine campus for optional on-campus courses. This program is designed to be flexible for you.
- Start the program when you're ready. We offer rolling start dates throughout the year.
- Enjoy the benefits of an interprofessional education and learn with other health care professionals, just as you would in a clinical setting.
- Learn from expert faculty who are leaders in their field.
- Gain support from a team of advisors including an enrollment advisor, faculty advisor, and more. We'll work with you to design an individual plan of study.
What’s more, our PP OTD program gives you flexibility:
- Progress through a flexible sequence of required and elective courses that encourages interprofessional engagement
- You decide when to complete your courses with the option of specializing in a preferred clinical practice area
- Courses are delivered online, so you can accommodate a busy schedule by choosing when and where you want to study
USAHS offers two delivery methods for coursework – complete it fully online or attend a seminar and complete an online learning credit assignment following the seminar. You have a wide selection of elective courses to choose from based on your preference for delivery method and professional interests.
USAHS’s online courses feature instructor-led discussions, audio/video clips, required readings, and weekly quizzes. You will be guided through the course content with a unit-by-unit breakdown of the information that includes virtual interaction with students and faculty.
Even if you have not taken an online class before, USAHS has an excellent online orientation program to help you to learn how to navigate the course software and prepare you for being an online student. Each course includes a help section and tech support is readily available to all students.
Seminars are held all around the United States and abroad. You register for the seminar, attend at a convenient location, and complete an online credit assignment afterward. The credit assignment consists of articles and/or textbooks to read, completion of an online course as described above, and a multiple choice exam.
One Degree, Multiple Pathways
- For candidates with a master’s degree* in occupational therapy:
A minimum of 35 credits are required to earn the OTD, Post-Professional degree.
- Candidates with a MOT from the University of St Augustine for Health Sciences are able to earn the degree with a minimum of 30 credits.
- For candidates with a bachelor’s degree in occupational therapy: A minimum of 60 credits are required to earn the PP OTD degree.
The mission of the Post-Professional Doctor of Occupational Therapy (PP OTD) is to graduate students with advanced knowledge in practice excellence who have the leadership and clinical skills necessary to promote the profession of occupational therapy. High priority is placed on active inquiry, critical thinking and reflective practice.
*The master’s degree may be either the first professional degree or a post-professional degree.