Flex MOT (Online/Weekend) Program
Unique and proven hybrid learning model combines online learning with weekend classes
The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences offers a flexible way to obtain your Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT) degree Online through our Flex distance education program. The Flex program combines online learning with face-to-face hands-on instruction during a few weekends per month at the campus you select during the application process. Learn online at your own pace, when and where you want to, then meet your fellow students on campus during weekends to experience USAHS’s clinical education from faculty that pioneered distance learning in the OT field.
- More than 50% of coursework is delivered online, so you can study from anywhere at any time that suits your schedule.
- On-campus lab sessions are held during weekends so your time required on campus is minimized.
- Two fieldwork experiences during the second half of the program deliver critical hands-on experience and patient management skills. These internships are 12 weeks long, if completed full-time.*
- The curriculum is identical to the residential, campus-based MOT program but is delivered over 9 trimesters (3 years) instead of 6
- The Flex MOT program offers students the opportunity to tap into USAHS’s extensive, global network of MOT alumni and practitioners.
- Start at the time of year that best suits your schedule. MOT Flex offers two start dates per year on four of our campuses, San Marcos, CA; St. Augustine and Miami, FL; and Austin, TX. Start dates vary by campus, check with your enrollment advisor for details.
* Clinical placements are determined by USAHS based on the student’s academic needs and to provide the best educational experience. Students should plan on the need to travel and/or relocate for clinical experiences.
Flex MOT Mission
The mission of the MOT program at the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences is to graduate a diverse population of practitioners who have the skills necessary to analyze human occupation and to implement science-driven and evidence-based interventions that promote quality of life for the clients whom they serve. Graduates will contribute to their profession and to a global society through their competence, ethical standards, and professionalism.
How it Works
The Flex MOT program is a combination of distance learning – more than 50% of the coursework is delivered online – and on-campus laboratory classes.
Online courses consist of web-based text with supporting graphics, videos, and audio clips. Students interact with faculty and other students through synchronous and asynchronous interactive collaboration.
- Synchronous – scheduled online learning activities when faculty and students meet at the same time through electronic means
- Asynchronous – online learning activities that can occur at any time and at any location the student desires
Assessment of online learning outcomes includes a variety of evaluation tools depending on the course objectives such as:
- Regular quizzes completed online
- Graded bulletin board assignments
- Case reports
- Group projects
- Research papers
- Article critiques
- Proctored exams
Don’t worry if you’ve not taken an online class before. USAHS has an excellent online orientation (i.e. Student Readiness Orientation or “SRO”) program to help you learn how to navigate the course software and prepare you for being an online student. Each course also contains a help section and tech support is readily available to all students.
On-Campus Laboratory Classes
In courses with a lab component, students meet on campus for up to 16 hours of laboratory classes per weekend between seven and eight weekends in a 15-week trimester. The lab sessions focus on hands-on learning which is vital to occupational therapy education, as well as oral presentations, lab practical testing, social activities, and some proctored written examinations.
For more information on our Flex MOT program, please contact us today to connect with an enrollment advisor, register for an upcoming MOT/OTD information session (virtual) or register for a campus tour at the Miami, St. Augustine , San Marcos. or Austin campus.